What is Step Up?
Step Up is a homeownership program designed specifically for moderate-income home buyers who can afford a mortgage, but need help with the down payment.
The down payment funds are secured by a 10-year second mortgage and are combined with a 30-year, fixed-rate first mortgage. Since the loans are serviced by ServiSolutions, a division of AHFA, homeowners have only one check to write each month. Program participants must complete a homebuyer education course to qualify.
Program Income Limit:
- Participants who earn $97,300 or less are eligible for the FHA Step Up program, regardless of household size or location.
- Participants who earn 80 percent or less of the Area Median Income (AMI) for property location OR $97,300 (whichever is less) are eligible for Conventioal Step Up (HFA Advantage).
Additional Information and Qualifications:
- HFA Advantage conventional or FHA loans only
- 3% down payment assistance available through Step Up
- For new or existing homes in Alabama
- Homebuyers must have a credit score of 640 or higher
- Debt to income ratio must be 45% or lower
- Homebuyers must complete a homeownership education course
- Must apply for loan through a participating lender